Tuesday 10 April 2007

A Quick Snap


Travelling over Spring break gave me the opportunity to indulge in one of my passions, photography. Unfortunately rough roads, blowing sand and glaring sunlight don't make it easy. However, early morning and late afternoon provide an ideal time to get some nice photographs of the desert. Although there were ranges of sand dunes, some quite tall, there was also a lot of stony desert with a splash of colour because of the earlier rain. Although it often appears lifeless there were occasional birds, plenty of dung beetles and other tracks on the dunes. Looking back now, I probably should have taken more photos.

This time it was the deserts from Zagora to Erg Chigaga, one of Morocco's two popular desert areas. The other being Erg Chebbi and Merzouga, which I am told is now wall to wall hotels. Not that I remember it being like that seven years ago. The sand blowing is my biggest memory of Merzouga. No photos of that but instead of the sunset after the sand let up.

To me, the most important parts of photography are two-fold; prompting of good memories of travels as time passes and an opportunity to take those who can't physically travel on a pictorial journey to other places. Still it is important to stop and observe the scenery, the people, what is happening around you without always having a camera in hand.

Happy snapping.

1 comment:

Tracey said...

Yes, I agree totally with your last para. I'm not visual at all, so I don't remember how things look. Photos are an indispensable aid for my memory. And I love looking at other people's photos. But for the while I lived without a camera, I realised how much it dictated what I experienced -- everything became about capturing the moment rather than living in it and enjoying it. It's good you've managed to find the right balance. I think I'm better at it now.