Monday 30 June 2008

Leaving Morocco

The time is almost here, tomorrow I fly to London then on to Australia. It is always a very difficult decision when working internationally to decide when to leave one country and to move to another. Based on the fact that it is a long way and expensive to get from Morocco to Australia I decided to look for a job in Asia, somewhere closer to Australia. In doing so, it would give me the opportunity to see my mother more often while she is still fit enough to appreciate it. When I get back this time it will have been 18 months since I have visited Australia.

So after I visit Australia for one month's holiday, I am off to Dhaka, Bangladesh to work.

Am I sad about leaving Morocco? Absolutely as it is a great place to live and work most of the time. It is safe, the people are friendly and I have made some good friends here. It is also a good stepping off point to Europe and other parts of Africa. But I still haven't mastered Arabic or French!

Having said that I hope to be back to visit Morocco and I also hope to return to Africa to work at some stage. So this blog mightn't come to a complete end now, but instead I'll post less often. I also hope to start a blog about life in Bangladesh, and when I do I will put a link to it on this blog.

Au revoir Maroc.

1 comment:

Alia Kate said...

It's hard to leave-- but somehow, Morocco is one of those places that you keep coming back to, over and over again. I just flew back two days ago after being gone a little over a year. Fortunately it's a place that will always welcome you back!

I'd be interested to hear how Morocco compares to Bangladesh culturally, at least!