Wednesday 7 January 2009

Djemma el'Fna at night

Given the opportunity, one evening I decided that I would go and try out my new camera at night, specifically to try and capture the action and atmosphere of the Djemma el'Fna. This has been the main square in Marrakesh for many hundreds of years: a meeting place, a place of entertainment and a dining room with a ceiling of stars. There are snakes and monkeys, entertainers, fortune tellers, henna-painting ladies, storytellers, the range juice and dried fruit stands and the plethora of smoke-producing food stalls that roll out in the late afternoon.

Here are my photos:

These are the food stalls.


Snails anyone???

This is the minaret of the Koutoubia mosque that is close to the square.

Here is a light illuminating the mosque walls.

How did the camera go? Well I thought the photos weren't too bad considering that I just turned off the flash and clicked away. I didn't even try it on the night time setting - only realised that after I had finished! Well another time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Heather, you never cease to amaze me - You really capture the essence of the Jma ElFna!
Regi