Thursday 8 January 2009

My desert jinx


Again I tried to go to the desert, this time for New Year's Eve, and again my desert jinx surfaced. Last time it was a sandstorm that stopped my nephews and myself spending the night in the desert. This time it was rain! Mind you I did get to ride a camel into the desert ( in the rain) and I did get to spend the night in a tent in the desert, but listened to the pitter patter of rain drops of the hessian as the water pooled above. Thank goodness the hessian had plastic below so I remained dry inside but it didn't help that I had wet jeans to sit and sleep in. So no campfire and no starry sky for New Year's Eve, but I survived.

Instead got up in the morning; the rain had stopped but the clouds interfered with the sunrise.

Although some people staying there were happy to greet the New Year.

Then it was time to get back on that noisy camel of mine The one that didn't like being at the end of the line, but had no choice.

It was a pleasant camel ride back to the auberge without the rain. On the way we saw a number of camel trains heading out to pick up large groups from their overnight camp.

As we neared the auberge there was lots of evidence of the recent rains (not just the previous night) as the lake was much larger than when I visited 9 months ago with my nephews. Then to top it off, we got stuck in the mud when driving out!

Just my luck, after breakfast at the auberge, I walk outside to be greeted by blue skies and sunshine!!Maybe it is thrid time lucky for my desert trip.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Accidentally, I found your blog while searched stories and facts about Jardin Majorelle. I visited Morocco a few days ago. Greetings from Finland!
Korpun

Tracey said...

Lovely shots, Heather. Hope you're enjoying the camera. I love the water in the desert. My memory of sleeping in the desert (other than how cold it always was after blistering days) was waking to a snapping sound, and it was a camel trying to bite my face. Fortunately, his tether was about two inches too short for him to reach. That gave me a fright though!

Anonymous said...

Third times a charm Heather, don't give up! The desert beckons forever :)
Regi