Wednesday 25 April 2007

Anzac Day

As an Australian I have always been aware of Anzac Day (April 25th) and often involved in services, but last night when listening to a live broadcast of the dawn service from Melbourne on the radio, it seemed to have a greater sense of meaning. Maybe this is because of the long distance between Morocco and Australia, or the limited contact I have with Australians or maybe it is just a fact of getting older!
For those who don't know, Anzac Day is a day in which Australians remember the sacrifices of those who have died in war; the world wars, Vietnam, Korea and others. It also marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during World War I. This action began at Gallipoli, Turkey on April 25th, 1915. Over 8.000 Australian soldiers were killed in the 8 month battle.
For many Australians, it is an aspiration to attend an Anzac Day service in Gallipoli. This is often something I think about doing but unfortunately work commitments make a trip at that time impossible, even though I am not far away. Maybe I can organise to visit Gallipoli at some other time of year before I leave Morocco, hopefully.
The feelings of sadness, awe, respect and humility I am sure Gallipoli would engender, I felt when I visited the war cemetery at El Alamein in Egypt.It was not until the bus pulled up at the front gate that I suddenly had the thought that my great uncle was buried here. My mother often spoke of Uncle Cec, of how he was like an older brother, how he taught her to knit as a child. So back and forth I went through line after line of headstones wondering how a war could be fought on the barren desert plains of northern Egypt. After an hours searching, I found it.
VX.41103 Corporal
C. J. Loats
22nd July 1942 Age 41
May he Rest in Peace.

1 comment:

Tracey said...

50 years to the day before Keira was born.

How did you feel finding that? That must have been amazing.