Tuesday 1 May 2007

The Beach

Since today is a holiday in Morocco, last night I went out to a friend's place at the beach. The beach refers to Temara, a beach-side "suburb" of Rabat. From their rooftop terrace there were splendid views of the sunset across the Atlantic Ocean. Did we sight the "green flash" at the moment of sunset? No and I don't know that I believe it exists although some of the beachside residents claim to have seen it.
With many friends and workmates living at the beach, it got me thinking about the advantages and disadvantages of living there compared to here in Agdal, the city. So here's my list -:
Advantages
  • Nice views, if you are close to the beach
  • Within walking distance of the beach for swimming
  • Cooler breeze in summer
  • A sense of community among my workmates that live out there
Disadvantages
  • Must have a car, whereas I can walk to work, restaurants, shops etc.
  • Driving 20 minutes to and from work and getting stressed by the crazy Moroccan roads and drivers
  • Higher humidity means mould and dampness
  • Salt means all metals, including cars, rust faster
  • Have to drive to get to most places
  • Mosquitoes
Although in many ways I think it would be good to live at the beach, I am glad I live in downtown Agdal. Must get a photo of the sunset next time.

2 comments:

Tracey said...

What's the "green flash"?

Yes, can vouch that cars rust more quickly by the sea. But I think it's worth it. Still it would be nice not to need need one.

Cat in Rabat ( كات في الرباط) said...

Nice list! Without a car, it'd be impossible.