Thursday 17 May 2007

A Rabat Meandering

Since so many of my posts have related to books, I thought I'd keep up the theme. This afternoon after work, I went meandering in downtown Rabat with a friend to try and find the English bookshop. I have read about it on a website, and after checking, found it in the latest Lonely Planet. Happening to choose the hottest day so far this year, we were fortunate to find it just a minute or two after getting out of a taxi near the Rabat Train Station. Down a side street, the shop was packed with books in English, boxes on top of boxes with barely room to move. There was novels, books on Morocco, feminism, Islam, literature, textbooks, books of plays, language books and books of short stories. The majority of books were used copies, but who cares, although there were a number of new books that had been printed in Morocco. One of these was Edith Wharton's book "In Morocco", legally printed in Morocco and a bargain at 50D, which just happens to be the first book I need for next years bookgroup.
Although the selection is limited, the bookshop certainly provides an option for those who are desperate for something to read. Other books I saw but didn't buy included Walter Harris's "Morocco that Was", Peter Mayne's "A Year in Marrakesh" and "Valley of the Kasbahs" by Jeffery Taylor.
The hot weather was a good excuse to stop at nearby Cafe Lina for a drink - yes a nice healthy orange juice. It was a shame about the chocolate tart that also captured my eye, but enjoy it I did.

3 comments:

Jillian said...

I love that bookshop! Last time I went I swear I spent 1,000dh!

Anonymous said...

can you please tell where this english bookshop is?!
email me at tatoo5ma@yahoo.fr and thank you so much!

lady macleod said...

I am so glad to find your blog. I have been looking for the English bktore, not the only one by your comments. I had hoped they would have new books (sigh) the New Harry Potter for instance... but you are right it sounds good. Thank you for the heads up.

One of my best friends now is an Aussie. She is at present studying in Cairo. "Your people" really get around. I have never been to Australia but I have met Aussies in India, Europe, Africa, and the U.S.