Wednesday 20 June 2007

Prague Post

Well it is hot here in Prague, much hotter than it was in Morocco when I left. Anyway that hasn't stopped me getting out and about (and taking lots of photos). Prague really is a very pretty city with narrow alleys bordered by houses by all pastel colours of the rainbow. As well lots have painted murals on the outside or small stone statues on the corners or over the doorways. Underneath are lots of shops catering to tourists - lots of crystal shops, but a lot of it seems very tacky to me. The other things that have struck me is the ready availability of alcohol - it is everywhere and people can drink it sitting on the benches on the streets (maybe that is the Morocco effect), also lots of stalls that sell grilled sausages as hot dogs, and lots of tourists although I believe there will be many more in July and August. Hostel is good except the room is on a busy main street and the cars use it like a drag strip, speeding up as they go past, so that has made it hard to sleep.


Under the St, Charles Bridge

Prague Castle and Old Town

Yesterday went to Prague Castle - up on top of a hill overlooking Prague. It has the stunning St. Vitus Cathedral with beautiful glass windows, a cherub-attended silver tomb where one saint is buried, and a tower that you can climb to the top of - all 287 steps which made me dizzy by the end as I'd gone round and round so many times. Was interesting to see though. Today saw the contrasting Jewish synagogues which stood out because of their being so plain.
Today also went and looked at a photography competition exhibition on nature, mountains and man. All photographers were Czech but the locations included NZ, Iceland, USA and lots of places in Europe. Included some absolutely stunning photos but also some very ordinary ones (I've got better). Hopefully will go either to Karlstein or Kutna Hora tomorrow.


Spires from castle cathedral

1 comment:

Tracey said...

Hey, Heather, great to hear from you. It's freezing here, but I'm not sure I'd trade that for Prague's weather. Still, I'd put up with it if I could be travelling!