Sunday 10 June 2007

Rabat's medina

Yesterday went to Rabat's medina so took my camera along. Only wanted to buy a couple of small purses to take away with me, got them but also a couple of other things. The medina in Rabat is a very relaxed affair, not the hustle and bustle or pressure of Marrakesh or Fez. In fact, often you almost have to chase the shopkeeper to get a price or wait and wait and wait . . . . It can actually be a gentle introduction for a first time visitor to Morocco, especially someone who is not used to bargaining. You can try bargaining there, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't; sometimes I have success, sometimes not. Treat it as fun or a game.
All the typical Moroccan products are available - lots of carpets, leather bags, wallets, shoes . . ., lamps of various descriptions, fabrics, wooden items, artwork, lots of jewellery (especially silver), rocks and fossils, antiques (they maybe old) and lots more. I can usually find something to buy even if I am not looking. Still have to find "the lampshade" though.

Here are some photos of Rabat's medina.

3 comments:

Tracey said...

Bargaining was the bane of my life when travelling. I was really crap at it, and hated doing it. I guess if you live there it becomes more second nature... I dunno. Does it?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

whoa! My 'always ready to shop feet' are so itching ;D