Tuesday 22 April 2008

What is happening to the weather?

Of late, the weather has become one of the major topics of conversation. Why? Well after some nice warm weather - high 10s and low 30s when my nephews visited, it has gone bizarre. We have had day after day of strong winds. Branches have blown off trees, the sand of the Sahara has blown in the windows meaning I had to sweep the floors as they had a brown coating, traffic lights have been turned sideways sand and grit managed to get under my sunglasses and irritate my eyes while I walked home. This while my sunglasses are quite tightly fitted to my face. Along with the wind has been rain storms, loud enough to wake me during the night, and creating rivers of water down the streets. Then there has been the thunder and lightning, something not seen often here and it has been cold. Almost as cold as it was in the middle of Winter. Of course, the central heating in my apartment block was finished a couple of months ago.

However, relief is in sight with temperatures later in the week getting up to the mid-twenties. The wind has dropped but it is still windier than normal. the trouble with the wind is that more people seem to be sick and not as easygoing. Small incidents become large upsets and responses are often more curt. As a teacher my patience is not as good as it should be while the students are much more impatient. Then again, maybe it is tiredness and a long school year with not many holidays. Only six more days before the Year 12 students start exams.

Hoping for blue skies and sunshine. (Maybe my Vitamin D levels are low!)

No comments: