Thursday 1 May 2008

A Relaxed Start to the Day

Its Thursday and I am still at home at 9 am instead of being hard at work. Not the usually getting up at 6 and leaving for work at 7, instead I've been for a relaxed walk around the park in the early morning sunshine. Me and lots of others. It is interesting see what the Moroccan women wear when walking or jogging in the park - besides seeing many in an often thick djellebah, the others are still very well covered. Even on hot days many will be wearing wind proof/ rain jackets, which only make me think that they must be drowning in the sweat being produced. Men often wear the same. I 'm not sure that the people here have got the message that losing water from the body does not produce weight loss in the long term. Then there will be other women with a scarf covering their hair topped by a peaked cap. Although men are often seen wearing shorts, the only women seen in shorts are the rare expat who will be stared at and probably on the receiving end of passing comments. For me, this is one advantage of not speaking the language - Moroccan Arabic that is - I don't understand what they are saying to me so it is easy to ignore the comments. Even dressing conservatively and being over 40, I still get comments directed at me on a regular basis.

Today is a Moroccan Public holiday - International Labor Day and apparently this is one day that all the shops in Morocco are closed. This does not happen often. It is a holiday set aside to commemorate the historic struggle of working people throughout the world.

Since not only today is a holiday, but also tomorrow, it is a 4-day weekend so I am off to Taza for the break, which is 1 hour further on past Fez. Hopefully to do some hiking tomorrow and some R&R too. As I haven't been to that area of Morocco, it shall be interesting to see. I'll put up some photos on my return.

No comments: