Sunday 11 May 2008

Kite Runner - the movie

I have been wanting to watch this movie for a while as friends had told me that the movie is very true to the book. I must concur with this. As the movie progressed I would then remember what happened next in the book, and it did also in the movie.
There was some lovely landscapes and cinematography especially of the Afghanistan and Pakistan mountains, Kabul and particularly the kite flying. It was good to see the emphasis on the kite flying was retained. I found the movie much sadder than the book though, maybe because it was much more "in your face", whereas in the book you had to imagine what those scenes looked like.
The other facet of the movie I found interesting was the portrayal of the Muslims: their accepting of fate, the commitment to prayer, the non-acceptance of drinking alcohol; especially since I presently live in a Muslim country. Much of it was spoken in Arabic, and I could even recognise some of the words. Scary ! This also meant that for the majority of the movie you had to read the subtitles so you had to keep focused or some important moment would pass on by.
Kite Runner is a movie I would recommend anyone to watch given the chance, as it really does portray what life in Afghanistan used to be like and is like now. Well at last I think it does.

No comments: