Sunday 8 June 2008

Mules in the Mountains

Mules are an essential part of life for the Berbers in the mountains. For centuries they have been the mainstay of transport of both goods and people. However, the introduction of new roads into remote mountain valleys, to remote villages is changing this today.

On our hike in the mountains, we met mules carrying cherries to market, mules carrying building materials but mostly mules carrying the luggage of tourists as they hike the trails.
Part of the trip involved us travelling on mules rather than walking so as to reach the destination faster. Although I didn't plan to ride a mule, I had to as the muleteers wouldn't leave until they had someone on every mule. I found riding the mules quite a relaxing way to travel - just sit back and admire the view and the other hikers sweating away. I named my mule "Speedy Gonzales" as it was always trying to get further ahead and wanted to be at the front but had to stay at the back. Fortunately I got to walk not along after we started down, as someone else wanted to ride my rule.

Most of the mules have embroidered saddle frames and colourful hand-woven rugs below the saddles. Some were friendly, some were not. Some were calm, some were agitated. Some walked along the centre of the track, others close to the edge.

No comments: